Tuesday, September 12, 2006

A Piece of Home

Harlan has come to Madrid.

Tonight I went out to dinner with six people from my hometown. One of them was my high school principal. Two were my high school librarians. We went to Casa Mingo for dinner and then to Café Jamaica for ice cream.

We talked about names and places I've known since I can remember, while eating pollo asado, tortilla, and queso manchego. Their accents, their manners, their way of talking to each other and to me, were so familiar to me. I didn't have to try hard to understand where they were coming from or translate whatever they said into American English in my mind.

In a word, it was .... nice.

A bit of home in my new home. Just what I needed.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly, everyone really enjoyed their time with you in Madrid. They said their dinner was so special and being with you was the best part. I should have been with them. Hope to see you soon.

Linda

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home