Sunday, July 23, 2006

I Live Here

I was talking to my friend Janelle at community group a couple weeks ago, and she asked how long I've lived in Madrid, and when I told her 2 1/2 years, she laughed. "It's funny; I still think of you as one of the newbies."

"That's ok," I said, "most of the time, so do I."

It's really been over the past six months I've come to the realization that I live here. In Madrid. I know that this seems to be obvious, but to be honest the realization crept up on me, some pieces of it slowly, some with a vengeance. None of it with my express permission. I live here.

Maybe I should step back and explain:

University is a temporary thing. You see the end from the beginning. I worked at a credit center for six months. I knew it was a temp job when I started. My first six months here I was an intern with Mountainview International Church. A temporary thing. After that I planned to finish out my year here by taking classes at the Universidad Complutense Madrid. Another temporary thing. Six months became a year and a half, and then several months of temporary life in the U.S. raising support.

This really didn't bother me, especially in the beginning. I don't think I wanted permanence right out of college. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think lots of people graduate from university with a fear of permanence--a fear of waking up one day and it's 30 years later. So we compartmentalize our time into neat 6 month or one year chunks, moving from one transitory state to another.

But in the past 6 months, that fear has been replaced by something else. The desire to live somewhere, to call somewhere home. To "settle down." Spending years in one place, doing the same thing, isn't a scary thought to me anymore. It sounds refreshingly...normal. Sustainable. Grown-up.

Somehow I've come to feel that Madrid is my city. I know this city, and want to know it better. I love this city, and I want to serve it because I love it and want it to be better. I do what I consider "long term" things here now. I have worked up the nerve to go to Spanish doctors. I got new glasses here. I called the persiana guy when our blinds broke. I ventured into an underwear store to find a slip. I got my hair cut here and liked it. I'm developing some friendships that might take years to become close. Small things, but things I would have avoided if there was a chance I'd be moving on in 6 months. I find myself making plans to visit friends in Portugal summer of 2007. Thinking about where I'll live in Madrid when the 5 years on this apartment contract runs out. I'm thinking of where I want God to bring Oasis Madrid to in the next several years, and each time I think of it I see myself still in Madrid.

It's not as easy for me as before to think of my life in six month intervals. Six months is nothing--a sigh. When I'm 40, six months will be a blink. When I'm 50, less than that. Life is more than the sum of six month intervals.

It's not scary. It's not boring. To risk sounding trite, its....nice.

Permanence is a relative term in church planting. I don't know where God will take me. But I know that for now I live in Madrid. I really live here. And that's a good thing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Heather Cady said...

Yes it is! :)

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that when you think of the year 2011, you still envision yourself in Madrid, hangin' out with Oasis Madrid! That just makes my day, Kelly!

Love ya,
T

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home