Friday, May 19, 2006

Nothing of Import

I have nothing important to say, but I haven't update in a while, so I decided to be good to my faithful readers (all 4 of you) and post, even if it's mindless drivel. So here's the current news in my life.

It's already hot here. It's been between 30-32 (around 90 F and up) and cloudy the past few days, which turns Madrid into an oven. The heat gets in and can't get out. If anyone sees me walking around and looking incredibly wobbly this July, it's because my insides will have melted by that point and I will only be held together by my skin. And I don't want to hear "at least it's dry heat." Right now it's not, but anyway, would you rather bake or boil? Either way, we're in for quite a summer, I think.

In other news, Victoria counted her change yesterday and found out she had 27 euros she didn't know about. That's alot! Today, as she was putting the coins into the little counter things the bank gives you, and I couldn't resist trying to count my change. I emptied all the drawers, every purse, every change receptacle (there are many). I had 18 euro in 10 and 5 cent pieces!!!!! That's so much! That's a trip to J and J's for some books to read on my flight to the States! (for those of you who don't know, I'm going to the U.S. for one week at the beginning of June for my friend Steph's wedding).

Finding out you have much more change than you thought is like getting free money!

Back to Victoria. She beat me by 9 euro, but who's counting? Anyway, here's her latest deep thought. "You know, Kelly, life is like a bowl of Ramen noodles. Add hot water, and everything gets mushy, and the peas reinflate." I'm not sure what it means, but I think she was serious when she said it. Man, I wish I was that deep! Anyone want to try to interpret that?

In other news, Amy and I are seriously contemplating murder on a dog. There's this dumb yappy thing that barks in some window facing the courtyard of our building all day and all night. Last night (or actually 3 am this morning), after yet another barking fit, I heard in a strange, raspy voice "Callate, Luli!" To get the voice right, imagine you're 80 years old, you've been smoking since 1 week before birth, and you evidently spent the first 70 years of your life yelling at a dog. This is the crazy dog lady. She takes her dog out to pee abou 40 times a day, and every time we can hear her on the steps..."Luuuuuuliiiiiiiii! Vamos Luuuuuliiiiii!"

The fact that we now know that the incessant barking belongs to Luli, and by default, the crazy dog lady, does put a hitch in our murder plot. You see, we like the crazy dog lady! She smiles and says hi to us as she stops on our floor to take a smoke break on the way up to her apartment (not kidding). Her dog, Luli, runs into our apartment if the door is open, and we chase him down and bring him back to her. She calls all of us "Joven." I think we make her day by petting her dog.

So we can't kill Luli.

Then again, if Luli keeps it up, he might be in danger yet.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love your description of "crazy dog lady." Here's a thought: introduce Luli to Lexi. Perhaps they'll conceive Loopy.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Monaca said...

you could always hire someone to take luli out... that way you arent doing the actual killing.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Abril said...

so where can you get one of these change counter thingys? i've been keeping the stupid 1s and 2s for four years - i've gotta have at least 4 euros in the jar! but i don't know how to turn them in - advice required.

7:09 PM  
Blogger kelly_w said...

victoria got them at the bank--i don't know what they're called b/c she got them, but they're free.

and good idea, monaca (also good seinfeld quote--was that intentional?)

8:10 PM  
Blogger Amy S. said...

One more day of barking and I think I could look past Luli's cuteness and easily take her out. My plan is to climb up the scafolding (sp.?) sneak into the apartment, grab Luli, stick her in a box and ship her off to a different country. I think that seems a little more humane, right?!

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, Kelly, I check your site almost every day, and the blogs that I like best are your rambling musings. Thanks! My peas have been reinflated! Love you!

10:14 PM  
Blogger kelly_w said...

thanks, aunt carolyn! i should post more often!

and april, i asked a spanish guy about the things today and he said they're called "las cajitas de plastico para contar monedas." in other words, they don't have a word.

12:02 PM  
Blogger Abril said...

so do we need to wait for a post about your new computer until it is in your hands?

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carolyn, Kelly IS a random muse. And your PEAS are inflated! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Don't even go there! I think my noodles are just mushy!

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home