Thursday, May 04, 2006

An attempt at songwriting

Many of you who have talked to me in the past year have heard me complain (most likely several times) about the fact that most of the writers of worship leaders are male. Being female, it's really annoying to have to transpose everything into a key that doesn't make me screechy. I have whined about this for a long time (sorry to all the recipients of this whine, I'll try not to repeat myself so many times).

But recently something has occurred to me. I am a female. I am a worship leader (well, a worship leader in the works, anyway). I have a decent theory and composition background.

I am not allowed to whine if I don't do anything about it. So I'm doing something about it.

Also, I think it's really cool for a church to have some music that is indigenous--rather than just singing what everyone else is singing all the time. There's definitely a place for songs that everybody knows, but at the same time, I think there's a place for a congregation to have some music that expresses what's going on in that community.

So I'm trying.

This song is called "Glory." It's based (loosely) on the liturgy of the second movement of the Ordinary of the Mass. The basic concept of the movement is "Gloria in excelsis Deo"--Glory to God in the highest--and then it goes on to list a bunch of reasons that we give God glory.

Anyway, I hope to actually write 5 songs that can be used together--kind of a worship mass--based on the concept of each movement. More on this to come.

For now, here's my first attempt.

11 Comments:

Blogger kelly_w said...

oh yeah, and I forgot this...if you like the way I inserted sound straight into my blog, go to www.evoca.com. It's super super easy.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Monaca said...

i'm a fan... a big fan...

5:11 PM  
Blogger Dustin Wilson said...

Very good stuff. I was just surfing the web and your blog cought my eye. Very good song and I really encourage you to write more songs like this. Great Job.

12:30 AM  
Blogger windy said...

wow, good job. i love the concept of working through the mass

2:17 AM  
Blogger Heather Cady said...

You rock girl :)

6:35 AM  
Blogger Amy S. said...

Kelly, the song sounds great, I'm looking forward to the next 4 or 20. Keep it up!!!

11:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it Kelly. Daddy loves it too. I can't wait to see you.

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly,

Good job! You are so talented! Look forward to hearing the other pieces you write.

Troy

12:18 PM  
Blogger Paulo J said...

just passing through, but great song! the music complements your voice so wonderfully. i like the rocking effect of the 6/8 time. :)

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly, I love it. I would purchase a cd from you, so for WHAT are you waiting? Record a worship cd for us!

12:39 AM  
Blogger kelly_w said...

genny,

no cd in the plans :). but of course, anything you hear and like, i can send you the chords to.

kelly

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home