Monday, March 13, 2006

To Katie and Sam on your birthday

You can't read yet, Katie Rue and Sweet Sam. You're only one. You're still very small compared to how big you'll be in a year, or 5 years, or 20. But you're very big to me right now.

From the moment you were born--even before that, when your Mama was pregnant--you were miracles. You weren't expected to come at all--we hardly even dared to hope for you! But there you were, two of you. Katie, even before you were born you would stick out your leg and make a knot on your Mama's tummy. Sam, I wouldn't be surprised if you sucked your thumb before you were born.

And we didn't expect you so soon. You came early--Katie, you were impatient and just couldn't wait to get into the world. On the night you were born we were scared for your safety--you were so small. We prayed that God would protect your 13 inch, 2 pounds and a few ounce bodies. People all over the world--people that you'll never meet and even people that I'll never meet--prayed for you, Katie and Sam. We worried and watched and waited, and all that time God had you right in the middle of His hand. We know that now. But you had us worried!

We all fell in love with you the first time we saw you. I had to look at pictures for the first two months, and then when I finally held you, oh how I cried. I never knew two tiny things could hold such big spots in my heart.





And now, a year later, here you are:


Sam, with that sleepy smile and that thumb that just can't stay away from your mouth. And Katie, standing up, taking steps, being a miracle just by being alive, much less standing and laughing and playing and fighting with your brother over a toy.

You're a year bigger. We've watched you grow and learn, and we've grown and learned about you and about God through you. He's still got you in that same place, right in the middle of His hand. You'll get bigger each year. Each year I'll be amazed at how big you are and how small you were, and how God knew that you belonged to this family long before we had even thought it possible.

And each year you get bigger, as we wait and watch and worry, because that's what grownups do, you'll still be in the same place--right in the middle of God's hand.

Happy first birthday. I love you.

Love,
Aunt Kelly

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly, thank you for writing this. This is something that Sam and Katie (and I) will cherish for years to come. Needless to say I cried when I read it. Thank you. We love you.

6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home