Friday, July 29, 2005

If God is a color....

So evidently I'm making up for my lack of posting this summer in these few days.....I wrote this last fall, and found it as I was cleaning out my documents on my computer. Here's the story: the leaders' community at Mountainview was doing an all-day workshop on prayer (which was fantastic, by the way). At one point in the day, we looked at magnifying God. The literal definition of magnifying something means to make it bigger than it actually is. Well, that's impossible to do with God, but we can try to grasp some of that in our descriptions of Him. We spent some time writing, really trying to magnify God. It's a great thing to do with a group during worship time--when you all read yours, it's amazing to see how God shows Himself to so many people in different ways. Anyway, here's what I wrote. I like it, so I'm posting it:

Imagine the deepest blue you've ever seen in your life. Imagine that 2:00 a.m., dotted with stars,almost black, almost purple, but still blue color. But then imagine that even though the blue is that deep, it is bright, so bright that you can't look at it, like the sun--but infinitely brighter.

Imagine this deep bright blue and splash it with reds and greens and yellow--one of those colors--that one color, actually, which you can't describe except by looking at it--the source of color that pours over and spills out into all the colors of the world, making a million sunsets, no two alike. If I could say that God is a color, that's what color He would be. We see hints of it in the different depth levels of the ocean, the sun's rise and fall, trees in autumn, a billion stars. These are just tiny drops from the source of all color--glimpses of who and how beautiful HE is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home