Thursday, February 03, 2005

ENMOCHILADA

Ok, time for a quick Spanish lesson. Mochila=backpack.

Now for a quick spanish words made up by Kelly's crazy friends lesson:
mochilar=(v.) to hit someone with a backpack. (ex.--Hombre, que no me mochiles!=Hey dude! Don't hit me with your backpack!)
enmochilada=the trapped state of being pinned to a bus door because half of your backpack is on the inside and half is on the outside.

Yeah, that's right. I have experienced the horror of being enmochilada. Bigtime. I've gotten used to public transportation and have become much more aggresive about pushing my way onto a crowded bus or metro just like everyone else. Well, last Tuesday was no different. My friend Marianna and I were leaving class from the Geografia e Historia building, and as usual, there were more people waiting for the bus than would actually fit. Marianna made it, and I didn't want to wait for the next bus or ride all the way home by myself, so I followed. I was the last person on the bus, and luckily, i made it through the doors. As I started to move forward to wade through the sea of people so I could stamp my bus ticket, something stopped me from moving. It was then that I realized that my backpack had not been as lucky as I had. I couldn't turn around because I was stuck to a door, but out of the corner of my eye I could see my green jansport--on the outside of the glass doors. I tried to tell the bus driver that I was stuck and could he please open the door, but he either didn't hear or didn't care. The door didn't budge, and the backpack wouldn't pull through.

enmochilada Posted by Hello

I tried to wriggle out of my backpack, but it was pulled tight by the door and I was weak from laughing, so I was stuck. Marianna, who was unhindered and could look outside, kept me posted on the pointing and facial expressions of the people walking and driving by. Evidently I entertained many people that day. Did I mention there was heavy traffic? It took over five minutes to get to the next stop, where the driver finally opened the door and I was able to move in, backpack intact, and stamp my ticket.

So now you have a first hand explanation of enmochilada. If you ever hear the word used in conversation, first of all, realize that they're speaking fake Spanish. Second of all, pat yourself on the back, because you know what they're talking about.

Hombre, que no me mochiles!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to see a picture, too! It's good to know that you're entertaining the natives!

4:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home