Friday, November 19, 2004

the roaring 80's

My neighborhood is right next to one of the biggest universities in the world--it's full of students. Besides meaning that it is the clubbing destination for the under 20 crowd, it also means that it is a great place to come for cool shoe stores, seemingly hundreds of cute little accesory stores, and the latest fashions.

Mullets abound here. Business in the front, fiesta in the back. We're not talking about 40 year old rednecks with a beer gut, a dirty white tank top, and a gold chain, either. We're talking about guys and girls, my age, coming out of the expensive hairdressers looking like a million euros--or something like that. Famous singers have mullets. Some of my classmates have mullets. It's still gross. You can dress it up, give it money, put it on an attractive face, and it's still a mullet. You can put it in dreadlocks. It's still a mullet. You can dye it blue and/or red. It won't become something else. A mullet is a mullet is a mullet. A mullet by any other name will still look as nasty. I will let my hair grow to my ankles before I get a mullet.

I'm not as opposed to man-capri's as to mullets. On American men, yes, they look stupid. But I've actually seen some European men pull it off, and it doesn't look half bad. It probably has something to do with the fact that most of the men who wear them have legs that are thinner than most pencils.

Which brings me to female legwear--fishnet pantyhose and leg warmers. I think I want some! Does that mean it's time for me to go back to the States? I was looking for gloves yesterday on the way to meet some friends, and I was drawn to some cute black leg-sweater things in a window. Next thing I knew, I was picturing how cute they would look with one of my skirts and my black sweater. With my huge white hoops. I need a wide headband to finish off the ensemble. Good thing the legwarmers were ridiculously expensive. I almost got sucked in! And I can't believe I'm saying this, but I've seen fishnets being tastefully worn too--usually combined with a cute skirt and legwarmers. I think I need to have my temperature taken--this is not right!

There was a good reason for the 80's to be over, and I don't think anyone was too upset when that fashion era ended (although we got some great monster ballads out of the deal). We need to stand strong against the mulleted, pointy toed, leg warmered, hot pink and lime green wave of evil that is sweeping Europe and is already in the cities in the US. We need to stand together in our boot-cut glory and shout a resounding NO!

I will never get a mullet.

1 Comments:

Blogger Eric said...

Wow, and this coming from someone who comes from Harlan, KY!!! Harlan is the Mullet capital of the Northern Hemisphere. From what I hear, baby Harlans are just born with them.

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home